Tuesday 5 January 2010

My poor birdies…

FOOTPRINTS 

This was early this morning, before more snow but you can see their footprints were already pretty deep.

POOR LITTLE BLACKBIRD

I kept clearing a space for their sultanas and mealworms but the snow was falling so thick and fast today that they were being covered with snow not long after I’d put them out!

SHELTER UNDER TREES

At least there’s a bit of shelter under the heavily snow laden trees – I’ve bashed it off here, so the birds can sit on the branches more easily.

MSW ICE

This is my favourite local ‘Nature Reserve’ – Mere Sands Wood – and these are the branches set up for the Kingfishers, so that they can be seen more clearly from the hide we were in.  As you can see, there were NO kingfishers that day and sadly, I’m wondering if we’ll see them again for a long time after this deep freeze.  As you can see, despite the sunshine, the whole of the Mere is absolutely frozen solid!

MSWKINGFISHER PERCH ICE

No comments: